Collections, Exhibitions and Galleries. The museum offer of Genoa is articulated and varied: next to the system of civic museums (museums of the city of Genoa) there are also two state museums-museum of the Royal Palace and National Gallery of Palazzo Spinola – and various private structures.
The network of Genoese civic museums is divided into more than twenty locations and comprises: museums, archives, the Documentation Centre for the history of art and the image of genoa, the specialist libraries and the educational sector, which organizes activities and services for schools and Families.
The sea, the art, the cultures of the world, the science and the nature, the history and the archaeology are the thematic paths in which the civic museums are Subdivided.
The times of the museums undergo seasonal changes, so you should consult the dedicated Pages.
Museums of Strada Nuova
Important collection of European, Italian and Genoese paintings from the XVI to the eighteenth century: alongside the valuable Italian masterpieces and paintings (Caravaggio, Veronese), Flemish (Hans Memling). Gerard David, Jean provost, Rubens, Van Dyck), Dutch (Steen), French (Vouet, Lancret) and Spanish (Zurbaràn, Murillo), stands out a vast exhibition of Genoese painting between the five and seven hundred (Magnasco, Cambiaso, Strozzi, piola).
The sculpture depicting Maddalena penitente, by Canova, concludes the exhibition path of the precious Pinacoteca di Palazzo Bianco and is placed in a suggestive space dedicated to her, inside Palazzo Doria Tursi.
In the Palazzo Rosso, a noble residence adorned with frescoes by the greatest painters of the seventeenth century Ligurian and precious furnishings, is exhibited a rich quadreria that includes paintings collected over two centuries by the noble family Brignole-Sale.
Among the artists exhibited in the gallery of the aristocratic Palazzo Genovese: Dürer, Veronese, Guercino, Strozzi, Grechetto, Van Dyck, and many more.
Built in the Genoese century, in addition to hosting the halls of representation of the mayor, welcomes the expansion of the Pinacoteca di Palazzo Bianco.
In the monumental halls, pieces famous as the Guarneri del Gesù, violin belonged to Paganini, a remarkable exhibition of decorative works of art, a review of the Ligurian majolica between the sixteenth and eighteenth centuries, precious tapestries and the collection of coins, weights and Of the official measures of the ancient Republic of Genoa.
Mainly focused on the decorative and propaganda arts of the period 1880-1945, Wolfsonian winds through the main linguistic and expressive currents of the first half of the twentieth century, from Art Nouveau to déco, from the twentieth century to Rationalism.
To document the cultural complexity of the time contributes the extraordinary variety of materials (paintings, sculptures, furnishings, decorative arts, objects of daily use and industrial Design) housed in the center of the Museum of Nervi.
GAM – Galleria d’Arte Moderna
Formed from the nucleus of the collection of Prince Odone of Savoy-donata in 1866 to the city of Genoa by his father Vittorio Emanuele II-and by successive legalization and campaigns, the gallery is located in the Seventeenth-century Villa Saluzzo Serra di Nervi; They are exhibited, to document the artistic vicissitudes of the Ligurian land and the relations with Italian and international culture, more than 350 works among paintings, sculptures, drawings and engravings, dating from the beginning of the nineteenth century at the present time, fruit, in much of A targeted campaign of purchases carried out by the city of Genoa between 1912 and 1950 to the main Italian exhibitions, including the Venetian biennials, trade unions, the Roman Quadennials.
Reopened in 2004, after an important work of restoration of the ancient villa and with the insertion of some paintings and precious furnishings by Alberto Issel and Duilio Cambellotti belonging to the Wolfson collection, in the gallery you can admire works by Rayper, Luxoro, Cabianca, Varni, Barabino, Merello, Nomellini, Baroni, Messina, Martini, De Pisis, Casorati, Carena, Ferrazzi, Depero, Fillia, Survage, Mafai, Capogrossi, Cagli, Gattuso, Sassu, Zao Wou Ki
“Raccolte Frugone” Museum
Housed in the ancient Villa Grimaldi Fassio, completely redesigned for the residential needs of the Fassio family by the architect Luigi Carlo Daneri in 1958-60 and purchased by the city of Genoa in 1979, the museum contains 284 works, in an environmental context Of great beauty embellished by a beautiful rose garden overlooking the suggestive cliff of Nervi.
The important collections of eight-twentieth century art of the Frugone brothers include paintings, sculptures and drawings by Italian and foreign artists active in the Belle Epoque period, between the second half of the nineteenth century and the early twentieth Century. Among the artists represented are factors, signorini, Lega, Fontanesi, Mancini, Palizzi, Cremona, Conconi, Whites, Favretto, Milesi, Wild, Ciardi, Michetti, De Nittis, Boldini, Bistolfi, Segantini, Rubino, Tito, Miller, Simon, Sorolla y Bastida, Messina.
“Giannettino Luxoro” Museum
Housed in the stately villa of Nervi, in the Genoese six-eighteenth century style, from 1951 this house-museum exhibits the Luxoro family collections: paintings, furniture, furnishings, ceramics, silverware, mirrors, carved cornices, Antique fabrics, including a series of Precious objects of mainly Ligurian production of the Seventeenth-XVIII Century.
Of particular importance is the collection of figurines from the seventeenth and eighteenth century nativity scenes and the collection of antique clocks and pendants, which includes a series of rare nocturnal clocks, among which are the monumental models created by the Roman manufactory of the Campani at end of the seventeenth Century.
In the Quadreria are some important paintings by Alessandro Magnasco and numerous portraits of the Genoese School of the eighteenth Century.
Galata Sea Museum
Inaugurated in 2004, the year in which Genoa was elected European capital of culture, the Galata Museo del Mare takes its name from a historic neighbourhood in Istanbul, home to one of the most important Genoese communities in the Mediterranean.
With its 10000 square meters of exhibition space, the Galata Museo del Mare is the largest museum in the Mediterranean area dedicated to the sea and the history of Navigation.
The Galata Sea Museum is organized on four Floors. The itinerary includes 28 large halls, including the one dedicated to Christopher columbus, in which the famous portrait attributed to Ghirlandaio and the book of privileges are kept.
Combining tradition and technological innovation, the Galata Museum of the Sea enriches the experience of visitors with reconstructions of shipyards and port environments, multimedia stations and spectacular sound and visual effects to which is added the rich Exhibition of nautical instruments, atlants, weapons and ancient paintings.
At the Galata Museum of the Sea you can discover how you lived aboard a galley of ‘ 600 and experience the Italian emigration of the twentieth century through an interactive path or immerse yourself in a unique and exciting adventure climbing aboard the submarine S518 Nazario Sauro.
The Miragenova scenic route closes a visit to the Galata Sea museum. From the Mirador terrace, visitors will enjoy the enchanting panorama of the port of Genoa and the historic buildings surrounding it.
Commenda di San Giovanni di Pre’
A unique Romanesque sacred complex for integrity; The “commenda” is recognized from distant and remains in the heart, for the severe black Stone of promontory, the series of arches, the imposing Bell tower, the two overlapping churches and a theatre museum that evokes the ancient walls of a very deep history of pilgrims and Crusaders
The term “commenda” refers to the convent and Hospital-hostel made building from 1180 by the Knights gerosolomitani, the military religious order that had the task of offering support and shelter to pilgrims, to welcome wayfarers, Knights and Merchants Directed in the Holy land, which at the time was the theatre of the third Crusade. At the base of the Bell tower, an inscription recalls Friar Wilhelm, the founder of the Commandery.
Prè means “meadows” in dialect, since previously in this area on the walls there was an agricultural village with its cultivations. The place was chosen for its proximity to the port, the main road axis for those coming from northern Italy and for easy access to the drinking water of the Rio Sant’Ugo. It was also a sacred site, on which – apparently from 636 – stood the ancient Church of the Holy Sepulchre in which, at the time of the first crusade, the ashes of the Baptist had been laid, subsequently transferred to the present Cathedral.
Over time the function of the hostel was accompanied by the hospital for the sick and the destitute of the City.
The two churches
The upper church, now named after St. John the evangelist, stands out in the maze of alleys for the severe steeple, from the typical Genoese Romanesque forms, with the four pinnacles, the elegant pyramidal spire and the three orders of Trifore.
The basilica was built without a façade because it was reserved for the knights, who were accessing it from an inner passage to the Hostel. Once the church opened to the public cult, in the eighteenth century, it overturned the orientation opening in the apse the portal that still welcomes the Faithful.
This unusual threshold is accessed by an equally surprising interior, for the very special light given by the black Promontory stone, which stands out on the clear of the plasters in an elegant contrast taken from the checkered floor.
In the aisled paintings and frescoes by Giulio Benso, Bernardo Castello, Carlo Giuseppe Ratti, Lorenzo De Ferrari, Lazzaro Tavarone, Giovanni Domenico Cappellino and Simone barabino.
The church below three luminous aisled with elegant vault, was originally dedicated to St. Hugh and used as a gathering place for pilgrims; Later it was destined for the Confraternities.
The building is spread over three floors, which are reflected in the façade with two elegant series of arches and a loggia:
It develops in a single large hall with tall stone columns, where the pilgrims slept, in simple beds leaning against the walls on which are still visible several shelves, some to lay their belongings, others to wash, with hole for unloading Dell’acqua.
From the salon there was a tunnel that-as in a modern hub-allowed the Knights to reach the docks and embark without having to leave the Building.
It is characterized by the beautiful wooden ceiling and, as we have already mentioned, for its function of connection with the church on the upper floor;
still present some frescoed halls and was probably reserved for religious.
After years of restoration and archaeological research, the Commenda was reopened to the public as the seat of important exhibitions and a “museoteatro” which, thanks to sophisticated technologies in collaboration with the theatre of sound, magically transforms the history of the building In multimedia show, animating historical figures in the form of projections on the ancient walls:
- Figures of Genoese as Friar William, the builder of the building, Caffaro or Benedetto Zaccaria;
- Passing travellers, like the Sephardi Jew Benjamin from Tudela, the Arab Geo Al-Idrisi or bishop Giacomo da Vitry;
- Crusaders and their antagonists, such as Balian d’Ibelin or the saladin, the sultan, Kurdish by birth, who regained Jerusalem in 1187.
Via Del Campo 29Rosso
In the heart of the historic center of genoa, at No. 29rosso in Via del Campo, the road sung by Fabrizio De André in the homonymous song, took place until February 2010, “Musica Gianni tassio”, The historical shop that became after the disappearance of Faber, 11 January 1999, a ” Place of memory “for fans of De André.
Today the history of this small temple of the song of the author continues and is renewed thanks to the emporium-museum of the Genoese song, where one can admire original vinyl records, photographs, books, Vintage magazines, curiosities and the “Esteve ’97”, Guitar belonged to Fabrizio.
Castello D’Albertis – museum of World cultures
Extraordinary vantage point on the city, the castle was built at the end of 800 on Sixteenth-century fortifications by the Cap. Enrico Alberto D’Albertis (1846-1932) and was donated by him together with the archaeological, ethnographic and marine material collected in All over the world on his journeys to the sea and to the Ground.
After careful restoration work, the neo-gothic dwelling with its exotic references and its colonial fascinations has been enriched with a new path in the Sixteenth-century bastion where to turn a renewed glance on the cultures of the world and the city itself, through Further donations and acquisitions from Africa, America and Oceania.
images, narratives and sounds culminate in the section dedicated to the music of the peoples, curated by the cultural association Echo Art. The new permanent section curated by Celso (oriental Studies Institute) explores the philosophy, history and techniques of traditional medicines with particular reference to china, India, Tibet, Arab-islamic World and ethnic Medicines.
National Gallery of Palazzo Spinola
In the evocative setting of a Sixteenth-century palace that preserves intact the atmosphere of a six-eighteenth residence, the museum itinerary of the National Gallery of Liguria is unwinding: the Quadreria boasts works by the most important Genoese, Flemish and In addition to an important collection of Ceramics.
Among the paintings exhibited works by Rubens, Van Dyck, Antonello da Messina, grechetto, Valerio Castello, and many Others.
Museum of the Royal Palace
The sumptuous Seventeenth-century palace, patrician residence of noble families (balbi, durazzo, savoy), preserves intact the furnishings, the works of art, the objects of use (XVII-XIX centuries). Its halls house a rich Quadreria which includes works by many Italian and foreign artists (Van Dyck, Tintoretto, Strozzi) and the Genoese school (piola, grechetto, schiaffino), as well as sculptures by Filippo Parodi. The collection of Genoese furniture of the XVII-XVIII century should be Reported.
The museum offers a free app to accompany the visit, all the info here:
- On MiBACT site: http://www.beniculturali.it/mibac/export/MiBAC/sito-MiBAC/Contenuti/visualizza asset
- Apple Store: https://itunes.apple.com/it/app/museo-di-palazzo-reale-genova
- Google Play: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ettsolutions.palazzorealegenova
Edoardo Chiossone Museum of Oriental Art
Designed by Arch. Labò, the museum preserves and exhibits the rich Japanese and Chinese art heritage collected in Japan by Edoardo Chiossone between 1875 and 1898: paintings, prints, weapons and armors, bronzes, lacquers, ceramics, porcelain, costumes and fabrics, with a total of about 2000 pieces in Permanent Exposure.
The paintings and prints ukiyoe of famous authors such as Harunobu, Utamaro, Hiroshige and Hokusai, because of their delicacy and fragility, are exhibited during temporary exhibitions.
Museum of “Sant Agostino”
In the Augustinian conventual complex of medieval Origin (XIII century), the museum is housed, which houses sculptures, detached Italian and Ligurian frescoes, stone artefacts from the tenth to the eighteenth Century. Alongside works by F.M. schiaffino, V. Castello, Domenico piola, Luca Cambiaso, F. parodi, The masterpieces of Giovanni Pisano, Pierre Puget, stand Out.
The sections of painting were recently inaugurated, with a fascinating itinerary in Ligurian painting on board from the end of the thirteenth century to the early sixteenth century, and pottery, comprising a large collection of Spanish azulejos and artifacts of the area Mediterranean from the Middle Ages to the sixteenth Century.
Museum of Contemporary Art Villa Croce
The Museum of Villa Croce boasts an artistic heritage of more than 4,000 works, including the important abstract art collection of Maria Cernuschi Ghiringhelli, with over two hundred paintings, drawings, sculptures, graphics of abstract art, Italian and international, which conceptually relates some works of the donation of the lab (laboratory of contemporary art of the lower lunigiana); A nucleus of works by Genoese and Ligurian artists since the second half of ‘ 900; Significant examples of Italian graphics of the second ‘ 900 and an interesting photographic background.
Villa del Principe, The palace of Andrea Doria
In the halls of the prestigious palace, built by Andrea Doria in the sixteenth century, are preserved frescoes, paintings and sculptures by important Ligurian, Italian and foreign artists, as well as a valuable series of tapestries.
Among the authors present in the museum we can find Perin del Vague, Piola, Tavarone, Cambiaso, Tiziano and Castello. In the Italian garden there is the monumental marble fountain of Neptune, the work of the Carlone Brothers.
Museum of the Treasury of the Cathedral of St. Lawrence
In the underground areas of the cathedral of San Lorenzo are exhibited masterpieces of goldsmithing and sacred Art of the XI-XIX century, antique silverware of exceptional artistic importance, linked to the cult of the cathedral and the history of Genoa.
Among the most significant pieces of the museum, the Sacro catino; The Byzantine cross of the Zacharias; the Ark of the ashes of St. John the Baptist and other objects related to the cult of the Baptist.
Nestled between the cathedral and the nearby Palazzo Ducale, in the heart of the ancient city, stands the cloister of San Lorenzo, born as a residence for the canons of the Duomo to which it is still connected. It was built between 1145 and 1178 incorporating an ancient stone palace dating from the tenth Century. Inside this evocative medieval building is housed the diocesan museum, born from the necessity to offer a historical memory of the events of the Genoese church over the centuries, witnessing through the works of art the rich relations between the city and its Territory.
It presents a rich and varied collection consisting of archaeological finds, silver furnishings, sculptural groups such as the sepulchral monument of Luca Fieschi, bright gold bottoms including the polyptych of San Bartolomeo di Barnaba da Modena (sec. XIV) and numerous altarpieces evoing the high quality of painting in Genoa between the sixteenth and eighteenth centuries, represented by artists like Perin del Vague, Luca Cambiaso, Domenico Fiasella, Domenico Piola and Gregorio De Ferrari. The museum also houses a textile section with significant examples of silk production that made the city famous throughout europe; finally, exceptional for its value and rarity, are the sheets of passion, painted in 1538 on linen fabric dyed with indigo blue, considered among the ancestors of the popular canvas of genoa, otherwise called Jeans (from the textile collection of Superintendency for the historical art and ethnoanthropological heritage of Liguria, in storage at the diocesan museum).
Civic Museum of Natural History Giacomo Doria
The museum complex, born in 1867, is known in the World scientific field for its four million specimens from all over the world. Its collections, of high scientific value, are mainly zoological, but there is no shortage of botanical collections, minerals, rocks and Fossils.
The ornithological collection, The mammal collection, the rich insect collections and the exhibition dedicated to palaeontology are worth mentioning.
From 2015 The museum has a new room dedicated to minerals
Entrance from Via Milano between the Hotel Columbus Sea and the parking of the ferry Terminal.
A walk of about 800 meters allows to reach the spur of rock on which was built the lighthouse, symbol of the City.
Inside the fortifications was set up a multimedia museum that collects tales and testimonies about Genoa and its province. Possible to climb on foot to the first panoramic terrace.
Museum of Illustration Emanuele Luzzati
From 2001 the museum is located in the ancient port of Genoa in the evocative spaces of Porta Siberia and exhibits various works and scenographies by Emanuele Luzzati (mezzari, tapestries, drawings).
The museum complex is particularly conceived for children and young people: in addition to the rooms used for didactic and animation spaces, it offers a multimedia area, a library. The structure periodically hosts exhibitions of fittings, costumes, sketches, models and Maquette.
Museum of the Ligustica Academy of Fine Arts
Founded in 1751 by the initiative of a group of artists and aristocratic Genoese gathered around the Marquis Gio. Francesco Doria, The Accademia ligustica, now the Institute of High Artistic formation, offers visitors an articulated museum, an important testimony of art in Liguria from the XIV to the twentieth Century.
The rich Quadreria consists in fact a significant route among the most famous artists active in genoa, from the precious gold funds-coming from demolished or suppressed churches-in Cambiaso, Strozzi, Ansaldo, Asereto, Castiglione, up to Domenico Piola and his workshop. There is no shortage of evidence of artistic production between the nineteenth and twentieth centuries, from Luxoro to Rayper, D’Andrade and Avendaño, to Merello and Nomellini.
drawings, engravings, plaster models and sculptures in marble, bronzes and terracotta, calcographic, majolica and porcelain matrices, collected during the secular history of the institution, complete a considerable heritage that reflects the very history of the city, already the capital of the ancient Republic of Genoa.
Museum of Cultural Heritage Capuchin
The Capuchin Museum of Cultural Heritage of Genoa is a modern structure born with the intent to make known the life of the Friars through temporary exhibitions, in order to make available much of the artistic, bibliographical and archival patrimony of the Friars Minor Ligurian.
Genoa History Museum
The museum dedicated to the history and memorabilia of Genoa Cricket and Football club, founded in 1893 and the first Italian football club, from 2013 is located at the old port, Palazzina San Giobatta, in a structure that also houses the Genoa Store, the ticket office and a room Multimedia for events and meetings.
The Jewish Museum of Genoa, inaugurated in 2004 on a project by Gianfranco Franchini, is located on the top floor of that synagogue that has seen the history of the Genoese Jews unfold from 1835 to Today.
It preserves the works of the collection “journey in the Jewish world” by Emanuele Luzzati, donated by the artist to the Jewish community of Genoa. The collection is exposed to the public alternating with exhibitions of artistic, religious or historical documentary, set up on occasion of institutional appointments such as the Day of remembrance and the European Day of Jewish Culture.
Guided tours are organized by appointment with special attention to school groups. For the pupils of the schools they propose, together with the visits, themed lessons held by specialized volunteer personnel with the intent, in agreement with the aims of the museum, to make known to the citizenship the Jewish culture and the stages of the history of Judaism Ligurian and Italian.
DVJ Damascus Velvet Jeans
The Study Centre DVJ (damascus, velvet, Jeans), born from the collaboration between the municipality of Genoa and the Superintendency for the artistic patrimony of Liguria, promotes, through the organization of temporary exhibitions and cycles of conferences, the important Textile collections of the Civic administration, at the headquarters of Palazzo Bianco-new Street and state museums, at the headquarters of Palazzo Spinola in Pellicceria.
In rotation are offered to the public lace, antique clothes, damasks, Velvet and woven fabrics, dating from the sixteenth and nineteenth century, of the highest artistic level.
Archive Museum of the Press of genoa- “collection Gutenberghiana Francesco Pirella “
Opened in 2003 to the Se. Di. Province of genoa, the Archive Museum of the press-collection Gutenberghiana Francesco Pirella finds now definitive location in the warehouses of abundance, municipality of Genoa. An experimental workshop of all forms of typography, natural, techno-artificial and historical: ancient presses in function tell “once upon a time Gutenberg “.
On display machines by hand and pedal, mobile characters of various eras and styles, documents, fingerprints: from that of the micro-organism of eighty million years ago to the sindonic in Vitro.
In the Renaissance villa of Giovanni Andrea Doria in Pegli are exhibited and set the Genoese maritime collections that range from the eleventh to the sixteenth Century.
In the museum structure you can admire finds of underwater archaeology (bombarde and colubrine, pieces of artillery); documents, armour, paintings, drawings, navigational instruments, precious portolani, models of ancient ships; Different types of boats and navigational tools.
Museum of Ligurian Archaeology
The museum, which is based in Villa Pallavicini in Pegli, through finds from all over the region, tells 100,000 years of the past of Liguria, between the Mediterranean and Europe: the two human species from which we Europeans descend, the extraordinary burials Palaeolithic from the cave of the white arenas, the first Neolithic settlers, the rich kits of the Pre-Romanesque necropolis of genoa, the table of Polcevera and the collections from the Roman cities of Liguria. Two halls are dedicated to the collection of Greek and Roman Antiquities of Prince Odone of Savoy and the Egyptian Collection.
The Grotta dell’archeology, in the anti-aircraft refuge of the park of Villa Doria, offers schools and groups the opportunity to relive first-person moments of prehistoric life through laboratories and experimentations with the Archaeologist. Activities on reservation at the Museum of Ligurian Archaeology.